Friday, January 8, 2010

Design is the first signal of human intention.



I haven't updated in a while. Things have been so hectic, and I think I started to lose sight of a lot of the things I really care about. After a minor breakdown yesterday, (My mom would probably argue that the term "minor" used in this situation is a bit of an understatement. She is awesome for helping me get through it; listening to me vent for almost an hour and encouraging me, as my parents always have, to do whatever it takes to be happy.) I sat down, sulking, and clicked through some TED talks to cheer myself up. I've always found these addicting and incredibly inspiring (so stoked that there is a whole category devoted to design).

I chose to post William McDonough's talk because I couldn't sleep after watching it. I'm moved by his ideas of what design can be, and what it should be, but even more so by the resolve with which he has developed these ideas into fruition. I am inspired by his enthusiasm; it takes a lot of determination to breach the boundaries of modern thought, only to re-enter them in an effort to help the rest of us escape.

If you like the talk, you should definitely read his book Cradle to Cradle, co-authored by his colleague, Michael Braungart. Using history, science, modern business models, and the idea of design, they begin to address the question: How do we love all the children of all species for all time? prettyyyyy prettyyyy cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment