Thursday, April 9, 2009

Moldova Protest via Twitter



I was a huge skeptic of Twitter until I started using it. Most of the people I speak to are still cynical, and I have to admit, I was really on the fence until reading this article from the New York Times.

"A crowd of more than 10,000 young Moldovans materialized seemingly out of nowhere on Tuesday to protest against Moldova’s Communist leadership, ransacking government buildings and clashing with the police.

The sea of young people reflected the deep generation gap that has developed in Moldova, and the protesters used their generation’s tools, gathering the crowd by enlisting text-messaging, Facebook and Twitter, the social messaging network."

You can read more about the protest here. It is great to see a young generation acting so closely within politics. Though the President, Vladimir Voronin, denounced the organizers as “fascists intoxicated with hatred," I am positive that their demonstration had some effect their fellow Moldovans, and certainly made an impact worldwide.



all images via B|zZare on Flickr

1 comment: